Saturday 8 June 2019

Portsmouth Comic Con

I've a lot of catching up to do, things have been very busy, the day job, life and comics all competing for attention.
May was very very busy for Accent UK, with 3 Cons, which unbalanced my usual balance.
It all started with the second Portsmouth Comic Con.
A Con where I fly solo.
Driving there and back to my flat each day to drive (sorry) down costs.
Last year's event was had all the right signs of this Con growing into something quite special.
And signs were good in that's when I arrived, with about an hour until doors opened, there was already a queue building.
I was happier with my position this year, being in a smaller hall with more independent comic people, rather than the main hall where there were more comic shop and Lego dealers.
There was an extra 'hall' this year, outside in a marquee, which I feared might have a negative effect on sales, but chances were that the Con would attract more visitors, following the good feedback on last year's event, so I kept positive.
Saturday was fairly good. My table was next to Soaring Penguin and it was nice to chat to Tim Pilcher for the first time. Between chats we had plenty of browsers and customers, for me a number of returning customers who picked up issues 5 to 8 of WesterNoir, having bought the TPB last year.
Despite decent sales, the highlight for me was catching up with sculptor Alan Longmore. At least ear's event we had discussed him taking on making a model of Kingdom. I'd not been in touch over the last few months as I don't like to pressure people so imagine my surprise at seeing...


He'd done the job, and brilliantly.
I love his version of Kingdom. A little leaner than Indio! draws him, so its very much Alan's artistic version but having all the ingredients. I love that.
We're looking to get this 3D printed if possible, so if anyone knows a 3D scanner company who aren't too expensive then please let me know.
Saturday night, despite the drive home, was spent chatting comics over a burger and beer, ginger beer as I was driving. I met Chris Sides for the first time that night and spent a nice evening with him, Steve Tanner and Dave Morris.
Sunday was actually pretty much a repeat of Saturday.
Sure the quiet periods were longer but overall sales were pretty much the same and the chat with browsers just as much fun.
Will I go back next year?
I've already sent in my request : o )

No comments:

Post a Comment