Monday 11 April 2022

RIP David McKee

Very sad news last week that David McKee has sadly died.

I've been a fan of his since childhood. Mr Benn was my favourite show as a young boy growing up in London and the character, his ethics and stories seem to have followed me throughout my life.

David himself hashed more than an influence on my art style which is not really suited to comic books but seems to be hardwire into my brain now..

I was fortunate to meet David back in August in 2017. You can read my short report here.

It's a memory I'll keep for as long as I can. Sitting next to him and chatting whilst he doodled in my Mr Benn books (one of which he remarked upon as looking like it had been stolen from a library :o)

Kids today know him for Elma, older kids (like me) know him for Mr Benn and King Rollo, and maybe Melric the Magician if you were very well read.

David wasn't limited to this though and produced some truly inspired and thoughtful works. Six Men, for example, explains how wars may happen in a way that a 6 year old can understand.


I wish I'd had the opportunity to meet him again but am glad that I took advantage of the opportunity that did present itself to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment