Saturday 9 January 2010

Dr. Strange doodle ... with watercolour ...


At conventions I've found myself stood next to a very busy Andy Bloor as he turns out his wonderful 'sketches' of the likes of Dr. Strange, Batman and .. well .. pretty much anyone the collector asks for and I think ... I wish I could do something like that ... maybe I should practice a style for 'convention sketches' ... well ... I've got a way to go yet but here's my first attempt ... not as whacky and freeflowing as I wanted it to be ... I really do need to loosen up a whole lot ...

10 comments:

  1. For a first attempt I'd say you nailed it.
    It's a cracker Dave.
    I'll be asking fer a Lobster Johnson sketch next con I go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so much a sketch as high art, personally i would like to see an entire issue done in this style, someones been looking through the windows of Ditko!

    ReplyDelete
  3. there seems to be no stopping your artistic talents from flourishing. i'm most taken by his flamboyant collar, that spinning eye and your crosshatching.
    look forward to watching where this leads.

    i'd like see you slap the watercolours down with more abandon, and mebbe you'd enjoy using pantone pens?

    ..and new years best to you and your family, dave. hope it's bursting to the brim with good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is marvellous, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hint of Jason King makes Dr Strange look well barmy. Top stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bloody brilliant stuff Dave - waaayy better than my attempt! Colour me very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone ... I think it looks better shrunk down on the blog that it does on A4 ... but thanks all the same ... I agree with your comments Shane .. I want to break free of 'colouring within the lines' but it's old conditioning that's proving a real challenge to change ... and Andy ... it's nowhere near as good as yours was .. but thanks anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's deffo better than mine... you should do a whole book with that style... very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to chime in with Andy; you really should do a whole book in this style.

    ReplyDelete